Friday, September 10, 2010

Rosh Hashana

Labor Day hike down to the river with the Gettlers...



Thursday morning service begins with the kids singing...
and ends with a photo...
After services we taught the bnai mitzvah class how to tie tzittzit...


Snow on Ramshorn Peak...

We spent Rosh Hashana at synagogue in Bozeman, Wednesday night service and Thursday morning service. Lots of people asking Micah and I about Israel, including of course, Rabbi Ed. The services were great. I love the high holiday services as a time to think, to contemplate about myself, my life, my good fortune.

This year the rabbi talked about tossing away things one doesn't need to carry with them anymore, more in the spiritual sense. What are the things you don't need to carry around with you anymore, what are things you would like to improve about yourself? Every year it seems more possible, to become a better person and enjoy life more, a better father, a better husband, a better son, a nicer guy to myself. Change for the better... for some reason this year, I feel closer to maybe really doing it, maybe because I just spent 3 miraculous weeks in Israel with Micah, maybe because I'm getting older, more wise even...

The rabbi talked about science and religion, about changing and repeating, his sermon on Thursday talked about lifting your eyes and seeing what might have been there all along, seeing what's in front you, opening your eyes and seeing what was there all along. Somewhat similar to Micah's torah portion... And it all spoke to me, something to do with getting older, something to do with the things you begin to understand when you start getting older, I guess I am finally getting older... though inside I still feel like a little kid, life's experiences are maybe possibly giving me some wisdom, maybe I've finally learned to be a better listener...and then again maybe not. Let this be a year of positive change, of lots of smiles, of lightness, of love...

L'Shana Tova ( to a good new year) to everybody!

1 comment:

  1. Mark,
    My name is David Roogow. I was doing a google search of my last name and came across your blog. I think we are actually 2nd cousins! My father, Buddy Roogow, is Earnest (Ernie) Roogow's son and is first cousins with your father Stan. This is a small world, but I thought I would write and say hello. Please email me if you get a chance at droogow@verizon.net.

    ReplyDelete