Thursday, September 29, 2011

Rosh Hashana 2011


Rosh Hashana, 9/28/2011 

Stan looks at the bed,
 “That’s what I sleep on top of?” he asks me

“Yes, Dad, I’ve pulled the other sheet and blankets over,
I’m going to tuck you in. Just like you used to tuck me in,
just like Micah will tuck me in one day .”

I cover him with the sheet and blankets,
kiss him on the forehead
Stan looks up at me with a big silly grin
“I used to come home from work and
lay down on the couch and you used to come over to me
to play doctor, you’d say, “take two cookies and call me in the morning. 
My little Markie.”

He sighs, “I have to get up.
I have to go to the bathroom.”

After a bit I go and check on him.
He’s on his way back to bed.

Stan gets into the bed
the left side of his head on his pillow
in the fetal position
feet falling off the side of the bed
he scoots over bit by bit
until his feet
are pretty much on the bed

I cover him up and tuck him in
“It’s cold in here,
is there another blanket?”

I put another blanket over him.
“How’s that?”
He closes his eyes, falls asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment