Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dad wanted me to send these photos of him taken in February as the snow by his condo grew over his head...


12 days ago I felt a small window of hope that my life was going to settle down and I would find some time to ski and relax - that was friday night, then on Saturday night at about 12:30 am, my phone rings and it's Stan, "I'm in trouble, Mark. I can't stand up, I'm on the floor, I can't get up, no wait a minute, O.K. I'm back in bed. Get some sleep, tomorrow is going to be a hard day." I was home alone with Howie who was sound asleep downstairs. We were awaiting the return of Jackie and Micah from Snowbird. They were do in around 1 am. I didn't know what to do. I somehow fell back asleep, Jackie and Micah arrived. Somehow I went back to sleep. If Stan was in bed there was not much for me to do... At 6:30 am he called me again from the floor of his bedroom. I got dressed and drove over to his condo. He couldn't get his legs to move. He was blocking the door, I got him to scooch over and got into his bedroom. I tried to figure out if I could get him up, but i couldn't. I dialed 911. The fire department came over - they checked him out, he did not have a stroke, but there was definitely something not right. They were great, they helped me get him dressed and into the car and it was off to the emergency room in Bozeman. The care there was awesome. We met a young neurologist named Dr. Nappenberger who diagnosed Stan with possible Parkinsonsisms... And so he was admitted to the hospital. After 3 nights it was off to a Rehab center for 24 hour care and therapists. Over the weekend he had large swelling in his left calf, so he was back to the hospital for an ultrasound - he had developed a large blood clot in his groin, so he was re-admitted to the hospital and now he's back at rehab... He's doing well, but he has a lot of physical and occupational therapy work ahead of him. But his spirits have stayed good. He is staying positive. A lot of that has to do with his paid care companion, Patty. A friend of ours for years with tons of experience taking care of the elderly, she has been terrific. Jackie signed her up for Stan for his birthday - on March 4th he turned 81 - and they get along super and she has been a tremendous help for Stan and for me.

It has been a very very busy winter, so many stories, so many things, but things keep happening, I don't know what to tell about - the past, the present or the future - every day is an adventure, every day of my life is like a cup spilling over, and lately at night I just need to sit in front of a baseball game and digest, but I'm a Mets fan and they are definitely causing my blood pressure to go up! I will try to keep blogging, and somehow I will find a way to report all that has been happening and is happening. Happy Pesach...

No comments:

Post a Comment