Sunday, November 13, 2016

9/5/16

Dear Family & Friends,

Life is a crazy thing. Every day is a blessing.
I think of all of you, of all the people in my life and I know I am a very lucky man.
I am overwhelmed with gratitude.
I am overwhelmed with joy. 
This might be an odd thing to say, but I feel it is true:
I have chosen for whatever reason to work very hard and many hours so far in my life. Maybe it was the example my parents set when I was young. Who knows?

But as hard as I have worked, I have also had a lot of fun. I have many treasured moments in my life, many unbelievable experiences at home and all over the world.

I plan on continuing to work as hard as I am able and moreover I plan on having as much fun, laughter and joy as I can.

I also truly feel I am a good person. I care about others. I have always tried to do my best for my family, my friends, my community and myself.  I plan on continuing to do just that.

I have been diagnosed with ALS.  It started happening this summer. I developed weakness in my right hand and I started walking funny. It took me a while to figure out, but as all my symptoms started to bother me more and more I took myself to the doctor. How fast it is progressing, or how much time I have for “normal” living, who knows.

Things are going to get harder for me. Things I have always taken for granted are going to be more difficult for me. The pace at which I have become accustomed to living is going to slow down a lot.  That’s a good thing. My life is going to change. My body is going to change. I am still going to be me.  I am writing this letter to help me process what is happening to me.  I am writing this letter as a way to let everyone I love know what is going on with me. I am writing this letter to let everyone know I will be O.K.

Life is a blessing. Every day is a blessing. I am surrounded by so much love and beauty every day. I am a very lucky man.

Love you all,
Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment